Tuesday, April 29, 2008

SALSA PIE

Here it is the end of the month again. Since I'm still out of work and have been living on sixty percent of my salary for the last year and now only get paid once a month, this time of month I pinch my pennies the hardest and try to eat up whatever I have left in the house from my earlier shoppings.
I had a pound of ground beef left and had taken that out earlier in the day to defrost knowing that I would figure something to make for supper with it later. I also found half of onion, half of orange pepper, whole green pepper, and half bag of shredded carrots, three small tomatoes and a bag of Mexican cheese in the fridge. I also had four tortillas and some salsa leftover. OK, no problem I can figure out something to make using all the stuff(most of the veggies only had a day or two left on their lifespan and I hate throwing away food).
I decided a would try a Salsa Pie. I have never made this before or even seen a recipe. I thought I would just wing it and be creative. I browned up the burger and found a taco seasoning pack in the cabinet I then added to it. I chopped up all the veggies and threw them in with the meat added a cup of water and brought to boil. I reduced the heat and let simmer for about five minutes just to reduce liquid a little and cook down the veggies some. In a casserole dish I layed down a tortilla and then some salsa, meat mixture and cheese. I repeated until everything was gone and topped with rest of shredded cheese. I baked it at 400' for 20 mins and took out and let cool for 5 mins.
Let me tell you what a tasty dish this was and had fast and easy it was to make. I tried to take a pic to show you but it kinda looks like a blended together mess but trust me it was real good!!

0 comments: